It’s no secret that technology and electronic devices are evolving at an insane pace and providing immense convenience to all of us today. Unfortunately, as much as we love our shiny new gadgets, the more we use them, the shorter their lifespan becomes. What you might not know is that the disposal of electronic devices causes serious harm to the environment. According to circular computing, it’s estimated that every 3 new laptops emit into the environment an estimated 1 ton of CO2. So, what can we do to help? Let’s dive in and explore some practical tips and tricks.
1. Keep your laptop from overheating
Overheating is a major culprit in shortening the life of components in a laptop. When the components in a laptop have to work at full capacity, they start to generate a lot of heat, leading to a phenomenon known as thermal throttling.
The older your laptop, the more dust, and debris your vents and fans can contain, which can interfere with air circulation. Without proper circulation, your laptop is prone to overheating as it struggles to function properly.
Here is what you can do to prevent overheating:
- Keep your laptop clean and free of dust and debris
- Keep your laptop well-ventilated and don’t block the air intake vents.
- Use a cooling pad or stand to help dissipate heat.
- Avoid using your laptop on soft surfaces, like blankets or pillows.
- Avoid running too many programs or applications at once.
2. Keep your laptop clean
There is no denying that keeping the laptop clean helps to increase the lifespan of your laptop. We all know that our laptops can get dirty pretty easily and that’s totally okay. But the last thing we want is for dirt and debris to cause any damage to our beloved devices. So, the best way to keep our laptops clean and in tip-top shape is to give them a good cleaning every once in a while.
- Vacuum the keyboard
- Wipe down the screen
- Try to avoid eating and drinking near your laptop
Trust us, your laptop will thank you!
3. Avoid direct sunlight exposure
Your laptop is very sensitive to high temperatures andm for dark metal laptops, absorbing heat becomes especially easy. When your laptop gets exposed to sunlight, it becomes overheated and causes damage and explosion of the internal components. There are some tricks that you should follow to escape from the sun:
- Leave your laptop in the cool and shaded place
- If your laptop starts to overheat, check if it’s shut down properly because sometimes, your laptop looks like it is shutting down but the hidden surprise is that it’s still actually running
- Avoid putting your laptop in a bag while it’s still hot
4. Charge your Battery the Right Way
The battery is one of the most important components in laptops. Taking good care of your laptop’s battery will save you a lot of time and money. The good news is that the longevity of laptop batteries is mostly dependent on our charging habits:
- The best time to charge the battery is when it has 10-20% left. Forming this charging habit will extend the device’s battery life up to 1000-1100 cycles.
- Don’t overcharge your laptop: it is best to only charge the battery to 80% to ensure long battery life. Currently, a lot of laptop vendors also offer a utility that automatically shuts off when the battery is fully charged. However, this does not mean that constantly plugging in the charger is harmless. Computer batteries and computer components can overheat, leading to battery damage and shortening the life of the laptop
- Make sure to use original chargers.
5. Update your System Regularly
One of the best solutions to make your software perform well is by updating your software systems regularly. Software updates will fix any bugs you might have and add new features with up-to-date functions which will make your laptop as smooth and efficient as the first day. Pro tip – schedule the software updates instead of relying on automatic updates. You can check for any available updates by accessing your laptop’s settings.
6. Use a screen protector
Computer monitors are one of the most damaged components. Movement or strong impact may cause damage or short-circuit the screen. Besides, hand touches or scratches from pets can also cause screen scratches. Since the cost of repairing a screen will give you a major headache, it’s important to take some precautions to keep your screen as safe as possible:
- Make sure to work in an area where your laptop is out of reach for pets and kids.
- Invest in a screen protector, which will protect your screen from scratches and damages
- If you’re always on the run, consider investing in a shockproof bag or backpack to keep your laptop safe.
7. Install an Antivirus Program and Scan it Periodically
Many laptops become disabled or perform more slowly because of malware programs. Without an antivirus program on your laptop, it will create opportunities for intruders to infiltrate the laptop, steal personal information and disable many operating programs.
To make the laptop run faster, it is encouraged to install antivirus programs into your laptop so that those attacks will be prevented or blocked immediately before it has a chance to hack into the victim’s files or folders.
When installing antivirus, spyware scanners or anti-malware programs, it is highly recommended to check their updates because the outdated version also has inefficient operation or slow response to external attack agents.
There are many anti-virus programs to help protect your computer such as: Bitdefender, Norton, Trend Micro and many other effective antivirus programs which can be found on the Techradar website.
In today’s fast-paced world, technology has become an integral part of our lives, making our day-to-day life easier. However, the more we use our shiny gadgets, the shorter their lifespan becomes. Not only that, but the disposal of electronic devices also contributes significantly to environmental pollution. One thing we can all do is tor try to make our electronics last for as long as possible. By keeping your laptop clean, protecting it from overheating, charging its battery the right way and investing in anti-malware software, you can keep your laptop in great shape for a long time. Good for you, your laptop and the environment. Win-win-win!
And for more tips on sustainable living, be sure to check out our magazine.