Every year, an average of 88 million tonnes of waste is generated within the European Union. That is a lot of waste! Fortunately, there are many things you can do to reduce food waste. Properly-stored food can pretty much last forever, so making use of this technique can not only reduce the amount of food that goes to waste but can also reduce your food costs.
Here are some useful tips that we at faircado put together for you:
- Freeze Now– When you are freezing food for your own household, you should know that the sooner you freeze it, the better. So if you are planning to freeze something ahead of time, make sure to get it in ASAP.
- Choose Wisely– Picking the right container to freeze your food in is very important. You do not want to freeze your food in glass, as these containers can break from the cold. Choose something like Pyrex or Tupperware, which are the most sustainable options. Bags specifically designed for freezers are also an option, although Ziploc bags should be avoided as the zipper can break from the cold temperatures.
- Freeze Small Portions– The less you freeze in a single container, the more room you will have to freeze other foods. If you have a lot of one food to freeze, divide it up. That way, you can take out a bit at a time when it is time to eat.
- Chilli is Cool– Chilli is one of those foods that freeze quite well. If you refrigerate it for too long, it can get moldy, but when frozen, it can last a very long time.
- Herbs– When frozen in air-tight containers and chopped finely, herbs can be the perfect food to freeze to preserve freshness. Additionally, if you choose to freeze them in oil, olive oil works best
- Label Correctly– It really is annoying to look through your frozen foods only to realize that they are incorrectly labeled. Make sure you label everything with the correct label and the date you are freezing it. Clear tape or scotch tape will work fine for this
- Dry is Best– Freezing foods works best when they are dry. It is not much more complicated than that
- Slice it Like You Mean It– If you are freezing anything with bread, slicing it before freezing is a good idea.
- Skip the Eggs– Although most foods can be frozen, some should not be, and that includes eggs. They tend to expand at very cold temperatures, and that can make for a messy freezer!
- Wrap it Up– Foods like pasta dishes, quiches and cakes should be well-wrapped before freezing. A proper container should do the job.
- Fruity is Groovy!– If you think that fruit cannot or should not be frozen, you couldn’t be more wrong. Fruit is one of the best things to freeze and it fares quite well in the freezer, so freeze away! Just enjoy it in a morning smoothie, yummm!
- Changing Dairy– When it comes to freezing dairy products like milk or cheese, you can do it, but you will need to be aware that they may change in texture and consistency during and after freezing them. If you’re okay with this, freeze away!
With these tips on food freezing, you will be well on your way to preserving your favorite foods for months if not years to come; as well as cutting down on the amount of food you are disposing of. Happy saving!
Make sure to check out our magazine for tips and tricks on how to lead a more sustainable life.